South Pantanal - Fazenda San Francisco - 3D/2N - Scientific Research Tourism
Package of 03 days and 02 nights
SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH TOURISM - JAGUAR PROJECT (PROJETO GADONÇA)
Fazenda San Francisco offers you, nature lover, and the opportunity of joining the activities of the Project “Gadonça”. More than an unforgettable adventure, you will contribute to a research project that aims the conservation of jaguars and pumas in the Pantanal, one of the last places that still hold their natural habitat. The road book below describes this adventure and you are our guest!!!
Description of the Activities of the Project
- Lecture and Recognizing Safari: Lecture about the Project and going out in car to recognize the study area inside the ranch. Duration of the activity: approximately 3 (three) hours. Go out around 14h00 and return at 17h00.
- Monitoring large cats – San Francisco car*: Out at morning with biologist and field assistant to track animals fitted with radio transmitters and checking of traces left by jaguars, pumas and their prey in the ranch. Duration of the activity: approximately 4 (four) hours. Go out around 07h00 and return at 11h00.
- Monitoring large cats – boat at Miranda River*: Out at morning with biologist and field assistant to track animals fitted with radio transmitters and checking of traces left by jaguars, pumas and their prey along a portion of Miranda River between Fazenda San Francisco and Fazenda Tara. Duration of the activity: approximately 5 (five) hours. Go out around 06h00 and return at 11h00.
- Horseback Riding – Going out on horseback riding to search for traces of predators and rests of animals preyed by them. Going through areas of native forest coverage and cattle pastures. Duration of the activity: approximately 4 (four) hours. Go out around 07h00 and return at 11h00.
- Monitoring large cats and visit to Fazenda Tara – Going out in car to monitor animals fitted with radio transmitters and visit to one of the neighboring ranches to check for cases of depredation on livestock. Duration of the activity: approximately 4 (four) hours. Go out around 07h00 and return at 11h00.
- Monitoring Capybara Trail – Going out in car to beginning of Vazante Trail to walk inside area of forest reserve between Corixo São Domingos and Miranda River to the Carandá Trail. Duration of the activity: approximately 5 (five) hours. Go out around 06h00 and return at 11h00. Observation: only during dry season due to intense flooding of the forest – in general from May to October.
- Night Expedition to Search for Wildlife*: Going out in safari car (4Wheel Drive Pick-up adapted with three levels of seats – to facilitate sightings) to track animals fitted with radio transmitters. The Night Expedition is the activity with best chances of sightings of wild cats like jaguars, pumas, ocelots and pampas cats, and also other wildlife like tapir, giant anteater, marsh deer, and nocturnal birds like owls, nighthawks and potoos. Duration of the activity: approximately 2½ (two and a half) hours. Go out around 19h30 and return at 22h00.
Activities with the Project:
- 01 introductory lecture and going out for field recognizing
- 02 Night Expeditions to Search for Wildlife
- 01 Monitoring large cats – car
- 01 monitoring large cats – boat
- 01 Horseback Riding
Prices subject to change without previous notification.
Included: Activities described above joined by biologist and field assistant – in English and/or Portuguese – 02 overnights in apartment with air conditioning, ceiling fan, fridge and private bathroom, 02 breakfasts, 03 lunches and 02 dinners.
Not included: transfer in/out ranch, drinks and other expenses.
Minimum group of 03 people and maximum of 10 people.
Packages start every Tuesday.
It is important to emphasize that 40% of the value of these packages revert as funding for research – Projeto Gadonça – aiming studies that incentive the conservation of large cats in harmony with the cattle activity in the Brazilian Pantanal.
Area: Fazenda San Francisco
Your journey is multiple destinations, don't just consider this destination as the following list are close by. Reach out to me (Sabrina) to learn what options are available.